Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10th



MY LATEST FOSTER

Lightfoot is an almost perfect dog. Housebroken, mellow, doesn't chew things up. He is a counter surfer, and he needs some work on his leash manners. But, he's pretty much an all around good boy. He has a family coming to meet him tomorrow.


And this is Missy. I got her out of the shelter yesterday. The shelter vets thought that she had hip dysplasia. Turns out she has an injury, probably was hit by a car. Her pelvis was broken, but is all in place and is healing. So, we got a very beautiful GSD, obviously with show line breeding who we will find a wonderful home for.

THE FUNERAL IS TOMORROW

I am mourning the death of the adverb. Even advertising professionals (who you would hope have a college education and a basic grasp of proper grammar) come up with things like "Change begins small." Small is an adjective, and the sentence would only be proper if it was "Change is small." Of course, that doesn't make any sense. Unless Change is a person of diminutive stature.

And, the one that truly drives me crazy in many variations: "eat healthy". Healthy is an adjective and cannot be eaten because it isn't a thing. The adverb is "healthily", but I'll admit that's awkward. So, it would be correct to say "eat healthy food", but trying to eat healthy would be like trying to eat blue. Unless you had a cow and named it Healthy, then you could eat Healthy.




2 comments:

Ohio--Indiana Church Center --- Advocacy for Middle East Peace said...

I have enjoyed perusing your blog, pictures are quite nice; I love the GSD pics (I have 2 rescues) and your running commentary is engaging and interesting.

I usually only read political blogs, so this is a different perspecctive for me. I will also try to be more careful with my grammar.

Marilyn said...

I purposely keep politics out of this blog. Frankly, I don't want to know if people that I like have the "wrong" political views, and I'm sure it's mutual. If I ever do a political blog it will be anonymous, and I won't put a link to it in my email signature line. Same with one that talks about people I know and how stupid and rude they are.