Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Losing Things

The saying goes: "The easiest way to find things lost around the house is to buy a replacement." I am testing this theory.

I like to drink seltzer water. Sometimes plain ol' seltzer is hard to find. The store where I do most of my weekly shopping only carries small bottles that cost the same as the 2 liter bottles at Vons. The Vons by my house doesn't always have any, and it's a real pain to have to stop there just for seltzer water. Costco only has fancy-schmancy imported sparkling mineral water, or this flavored stuff that is okay. Except for the berry flavor, which is nasty tasting, and you have to buy the assortment. And, with the threat of another grocery store strike (not that I wouldn't cross the picket lines, but last time the stores just didn't have anything to sell because the truck drivers stopped delivering things) I went and bought a "Seltzer Siphon". Very fun device, it carbonates water and squirts it out. Just like the seltzer bottles of slapstick comedy routines.

I used it once and carefully put the plastic holder that holds the CO2 cartridges in the drawer next to the box of cartridges. I did. I'm sure I did. This does not explain why the little plastic holder, which is pretty crucial to the operation of charging water with tiny bubbles, is NOT in the drawer. I tore the drawer apart. Even looked in the drawers underneath that drawer because sometimes things fall down into lower drawers. The good thing is that I found the bottle of touch-up paint for my car, which I've been looking for since a shopping cart ran amok in the parking lot at an adoption event and put a lovely scratch in the door. I did not find the plastic holder. So, I ordered a new one. Maybe now the other one will show up. Most likely not soon enough to cancel the order for the new one. And, if I had waited to see if I ran across the old one I would probably still have to order one because if the old one shows up at all it will be after the new one gets here. It's one of the Rules of the Universe apparently.

And so it goes.

No comments: