Thursday, July 26, 2007

My War with Flylady

For anyone who doesn't know, FlyLady is a woman who thinks that people will clean their houses if they are treated like six-year-old children. She has a web site and an email list. I joined the list a long time ago because I will freely admit that I am not adept at housekeeping, and I had heard that she would help me. Truth is, all she did is make me want to strangle her. Okay, there's nothing wrong with making sure your kitchen sink is clean before going to bed. But, laying out my clothes for tomorrow? Great idea, if I want to show up to work covered in dog hair. Do a load of laundry everyday? Yeah, right. And she bragged on how she scrubbed her husband's bathroom every day. If I had a husband, and he had his own bathroom, he could damn well scrub it himself if he wanted it that clean.

The worst part was the rambling emails with convoluted syntax and horrid grammar. These would come late at night. Perhaps FlyLady would have a few too many helpings from the wine bottle or something. One night I had enough of it, and I corrected her email in red and sent it back to her. She responded, and just one part of her response was "I hope your house is in order before you threw stones." I corrected that too. Then she sent my email to her "editor", whose grammar was as bad as hers, and whose spelling was worse. He kept spelling my name wrong. When I pointed it out he replied "My spell check says that is the way to spell it, so maybe you spell it worng." I replied that since I didn't thing that "worng" was a word perhaps he needed a new spell check program. That was the end of my war with the FlyLady and her editor (if there really was a second person).

So, my house is still dirty. But I am trying. If I clean SOMETHING everyday eventually I will get to the other end of the house. Of course by then I'll have to start all over. I think that someone should invent a house that just stays clean. Clean it once, and never clean it again. I would buy it.

No comments: