Friday, June 1, 2012

Random thoughts about funerals...

I recently read something about someone who attended the funeral of a loved one who had strong religious beliefs that differed from the beliefs (or lack of) of the poster.  He was disturbed by the funeral.  Most people agree that a funeral is for the living, but is there some obligation to honor the beliefs of the deceased even if you are violently opposed to them?  I knew someone who went so far as to lie to her family members about the disposition of her mother's remains to avoid a ceremony that she found abhorrent but was part of her mother's religion.  Was that honorable, or selfish? 

Fortunately my mother has expressed that she's to be cremated, ashes spread somewhere (although if it's from the top of Stonewall Mountain someone else can do it because I have unpleasant memories of forced hikes to the top of that thing from my childhood) and no religious frivolity will be involved.  My mother will most likely cling to life until she spends all of her money so that she can achieve her stated goal of leaving nothing to her children so I doubt we'll have to deal with this any time soon.

Myself?  I don't care what you do with the shell.  Perhaps I can go be one of my anatomy professor friend's teaching tools.  Imagine the surprise of the students when they cut open a cadaver and can't find the sternum.



No comments: