Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Wednesday

BENTLEY GOES TO THE BEACH

Bentley seems to love water. He takes dips in my fish pond. He can hear me pick up the hose from anywhere in the house, and runs outside to play. If his little wading pool is empty he lies in it until I turn on the hose and fill it up. So-you would think that he would enjoy a trip to the beach. I figured that this would be a good day to go. Labor Day has passed, all of the children have gone back to school and the Zonies have gone home. I was hoping for an uncrowded beach, and I got that.



This was the first car trip I've taken the Bent-Boy on since he came to live here. He jumped right in, excited to go somewhere. I quickly found out that he is terrified of being left in the car. I had tethered him in the back like I always do with dogs. I don't want them jumping out when I open the door and running away. Or, if we get in an accident and a door flies open I don't want a scared dog running out into traffic. Well, when I got out of the car to go let him out of the back he completely panicked. I finally got him to come out the back and headed toward the water. This dog, who I can't keep OUT of my pond, wanted nothing to do with beach water! And then I had to go pee. Mind you, we were on Fiesta Island. There are no real restroom facilities. There are a few porta-potties scattered around, but of course no where close to where I had parked. Back in the car. Drive to a porta-potty. Deal with Mr. "Don't LEEEEAAAAAVVVVVVEEEEE Me Here". Go pee. Get back in the car. Drive all the way around the island again. (The road is a one-way circle.) Got stuck behind a slow moving Volvo. I was certain that the driver was drunk-the car was all over the road. When they finally pulled off I saw that the driver was a CHILD! Some moron was letting their kid drive a car on a public road.

Okay, let's try the water again. I waded in, and then Bentley decided that this was just water, and started having some fun.



But then some other dogs showed up. And, I discovered another thing that scares Bentley. Small dogs. All he wanted to do was move the other way as quickly as possible. So, we went back to the car.


"Thanks Mom."

At home we enjoyed the weather. 20ยบ cooler than Monday. I walked out into the living room a few minutes ago. All the dogs are sprawled in front of the open patio door.

No comments: