Monday, November 5, 2007

November 5th



WHAT TIME IS IT?

First of all, let me just tell you that I hate standard time. I remember fondly 1973, the year we stayed on DST all year. It was abandoned because children were waiting for their school buses in the dark. That's a no-brainer folks, school starts too early anyway. They did a study in one school district where they started school an hour later and test scores went up dramatically. But, as much as I would like to, I can't live my life on my own time and I don't rule the world, so I reset my watch. I decided to make sure that it was accurate so I dialed the old standby 853-1212 to hear the correct time. Imagine my shock when I heard this: “Effective September 19 2007 the time announcement information service has been discontinued.”

WHAT? She's always been there. The lady with the well modulated voice telling me what time it will be at the tone. What happened to her? Did she retire? Did she die? I know you can get the correct time from the internet, but it's just not the same as the Time Lady's soothing voice, reassuring me that my watch is set correctly, that I will make it to my appointment on time, that it's 7 o'clock and all is well. So, I guess I will have to bookmark this: Poor substitute for the Time Lady

TO THE WOMAN WHO WAS SO RUDE TO ME ON AN EMAIL LIST:

You hate it when people tell you to lighten up? I hate it when people can't tell when something I say is meant to be humorous and jump all over me, so we're even. By the way, LIGHTEN UP!

Yes, I do feel better now. Thank you.

THIS EXPLAINS IT:

Why so many people cannot formulate a proper sentence these days. This is from a teacher who was interviewed on Good Morning America:

“I don't wear nothing fancy.”

No comments: