Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25th


A TRIP TO THE COUNTY BUILDING

I've been trying for days to apply for a job with the county using their online system. I may not be a computer geek, but I am a pretty sophisticated user, and their &^%$! site doesn't work. I tried both computers. I tried IE and Firefox. I used the control button when clicking on links. Nothing worked-I kept getting a blank page instead of the application. So, I got into my car and drove down there.

Figures. Today was the day that they were having a hearing about a proposed big power line running through the desert. Here's the type of vehicle that was hogging all the public parking:




I finally found a parking spot and made it into the building and got my job application the old fashioned way-a piece of paper. Now I have to fill it out and take it back down there. Hopefully the non re-entry radical types will have somewhere else to be that day.

I haven't been inside the county building for decades. I was very happy to see that they hadn't ruined the inside. Wood trim and floors, original light fixtures, the old fashioned doors with glass and transom windows-all intact. I didn't take any pictures inside, I don't like to make the security personnel in government buildings nervous, but I did get a few of the outside.












The building was a WPA project, built between 1936 and 1938.

Some history about the building.

No comments: