Saturday, February 2, 2008

Groundhog Day



ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL


FlufferNutter's appointment with potential families last weekend wasn't successful. He met two families, and both of them said that they were interested and would maybe get him this week.


The first couple-while very nice people and will definitely be a good spot for a dog-just didn't feel to me that they would be right for Fluffer. The wife was completely opposed to getting a crate because she didn't want a crate in her house. At the stage of development my little FlufferNutter is in, I just know that whoever adopts him will not be happy unless they crate him when he's unsupervised.


The second family was the one I wanted him to go home with. Crate? Sure! He gets car sick. No problem! They already have a female who doesn't get along with most dogs, but she got along with Fluffer. He's like the kid in school who gets along with everyone because he knows how they want to be treated. (I think I should take lessons from him .) They couldn't decide last weekend, but said they would come to the event today.


So, I took FN to the adoption event. We have to be "first come, first served" with the dogs. Unless you've signed the contract and said that you're getting a dog we can't hold them. So, first a couple with a young female looked at him, but decided on another coated male instead. Then he met an older couple. I really liked them, and they loved FN. The wife reminded me of Katherine Hepburn-really lovely people. But, while they were getting to know him my favorite family showed up. They saw that someone else was interested, and stood over to the side. Finally the wife of the couple said that while FN was a wonderful dog she was concerned about his size and the fact that he chews stuff up. I said "Good! There's a little boy over there who's crying because he's afraid you're going to take the dog he has fallen in love with." I marched FN over to his new family, and introduced the couple to Simone-a smaller, older wonderful dog. and, everyone went home happy. Including me. Tomorrow I will put my pond back together, clean up all the chewed up stuff, order a new power cord for the phone, put my bottled water and toilet paper back where they belong, and wash the dog puke out of the blanket in my car.

No comments: