Monday, March 17, 2008

March 17th


HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

I'll be hanging out at home. I am drinking my wine spritzer from a green glass, that's as close to celebrating the day as I'm going to get.

DINO UPDATE

Dino has had his first chemo treatment, and is doing well. So far we've raised enough money to pay for the initial testing and two treatments. He needs five altogether, so we need to raise at least another $1200. Please, if you can help sweet Dino use the donation link to the right, or donate directly through the rescue's web page:
Dino's Story


THE BULLY STICK INCIDENT

I sometimes give my dogs Bully Sticks for chew treats, since I don't do artificial crap like raw hides (cured with chemicals) and Greenies. Bully sticks, are, well, dried bull parts. Yeah, the parts that resemble sticks. We had a Bully Stick day last weekend. After a few minutes I noticed that the boy dogs were no longer chewing. A brief check revealed that Kiara had stolen all the sticks and had them in the corner of the garage where she always takes her dinner.

Can I call her a bitch? Oh yeah, I can. That's the proper term for a female dog. I redistributed the dried bull parts, and carefully supervised the rest of the chew session to make sure that the thieving bitch didn't snatch all of them again.

THE INTERNET. ISN'T IT GRAND?

You get all types posting to email lists and forums. I pick on the language manglers all the time, so today I'd like to rant about a few other types:

ME! ME! ME!
People who only post things about themselves, good or bad. One list I was on had a woman who I'm convinced made up horrible stories about things that happened to her. As soon as the sympathy party quieted down something else bad would happen. Then there are the people who never, ever respond to anyone else's stories or photos, but only show up to talk about themselves. Then there are those who go missing from a forum for a year, come back and loudly announce their return, and after everyone has fawned all over them welcoming them back, they disappear again.

THE COMPLETE, UTTER BITCH
People who never seem to write anything that isn't condescending and rude just make me want to crawl through the monitor and slap them silly. There is one particularly bad actor on a list I'm on. Not only is she rude, she's stupid. Nothing she posts makes any sense, but she acts like she is some sort of wise woman. When the moderator cautioned the list that some of the posts were becoming too argumentative, I sent this email privately:

“Whaaaaa! I want someone to make "the complete, utter bitch" shut up! She's a moron! Please, can't I insult her just one more time?”

I got this reply:

“Sorry dearie, there's a line, you'll have to take a number and wait your turn.”

Guess I'm not the only one.

WHAT TYPE OF ACCENT DO I HAVE?

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland
Boston
North Central
The South
The Inland North
Philadelphia
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Yeah, that's pretty much true.

1 comment:

megangiselle said...

Got it in one! Though I wish they wouldn't have said Philly first - I'm from SOUTH Jersey, dammit! ^_^
Philly people sound different. so there.
"Your Result: Philadelphia
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard."
Wouldn't take the HTML code. pooh.