Sunday, April 13, 2008

April 13th


HOT!

It's 5 pm, and it's 92º on my patio (in the shade). It was hot yesterday too, and that might have been a good excuse for a couple of the other rescue volunteers being rude to me at the adoption event, except that they're always rude to me. Frankly, I'm not sure just how much longer I want to donate time and energy to be treated badly.

THE MASSACRE AT GOLDFISH POND

I went outside the other morning to find that something had murdered some of my goldfish (I think four of them) by the side of the pond. Fish scales and guts were left behind as evidence. I think this happened at night because whatever it was pulled the hose for the waterfall off of the pump, and I'm pretty sure it was working the evening before. So, it probably wasn't the murderous Great Blue Heron returning, but some nocturnal marauder. The only animal I've ever heard of doing this is raccoons, and I've never heard of there being any of those around here. Could be though. Which is why I'm glad that it's been warmer than normal the past few days, I left the patio door open for the dogs to chase off any nocturnal visitors. They were all riled up by something in the yard last night, so maybe whatever it was will remember that big, mean dogs live here and go do their fishing in someone else's pond.

FINALLY!

My Dog.com order arrived, a mere 30 days after I placed my order. After sending four emails that were never answered I gave up and (knowing that I might lose my temper) called them. They cancelled the first order (which according to the tracking information is STILL sitting in Los Angeles) and resent the stuff via FedEx with no shipping charge. Well, they sent most of the stuff. One dog toy that I really wanted was out of stock, so I didn't get it. And, I got no apology or discount, or even a free cheap dog toy. No "we're sorry for the trouble, here's a GC towards your next order", nothing. I doubt I'll ever order anything from them again, there are other places with better prices, and hopefully better customer service.

1 comment:

THE GRAMMARPHILE said...

Poor fishies! :( My aunt and uncle in NJ had the same problem with a heron coming and plucking fish out of the pond in their backyard. My uncle thought my aunt HAD to be kidding until he witnessed it for himself. Now I think they have some sort of netting over the pond to prevent the heron from going fishing...