Friday, April 25, 2008

April 25th



BIG OLD BLOCK OF FROZEN MEAT

I don't feed commercial dog food to my dogs. No crap-in-a-bag crosses the threshold here, my dogs are fed a raw prey-model diet. Half a chicken (yes, with the bones), a slab of pork ribs, organ meat, eggs, etc. I order a lot of my food through a buying group and get whole cases of things. For this month I ordered 30 lbs. of pork hearts because they're a nice size to hand to a dog, or to add to a meal that may be too bony. I got sixty pounds instead of 30, so I had to do some creative freezer cramming to get all the food in. (I still had to put a bunch in the cooler and will have to rotate that with stuff in the freezer for a week or so.) The problem with cramming in semi-thawed pork hearts (even if they're individually bagged) is that they then freeze together like a big meat puzzle, and it can be a challenge to get them back out of the freezer. And, while I was wrestling with frozen meat this afternoon Kiara (the girl dog who will eat until she explodes) stole a whole pork brisket, which is two days worth of food for her. She'll get fed very light meals for a few days to compensate for her gluttony.

SHARK ATTACK

Nothing funny about this. A man was attacked and killed by what they think was a great white shark just up the coast from here. I feel sad for his friends and family. It's a very rare thing-more people win the lottery in California than are killed by sharks-but it's still scary.

No comments: