Saturday, April 5, 2008

April 5th


I HAVE A SYNDROME!

I was reading an interesting article today about an area of San Diego where they once did missile testing but have since abandoned all the structures, and for some reason started looking at a page of display ads. All of them were searching for people to participate in drug studies. "You may be compensated for your time", they say, but they don't say anything about compensating you if you die from their experimental drugs. Anyway, I was particularly amused by this one ad:

ARE YOU A NIGHTOWL?
Do you go to bed at a late hour?
If so, you should know about a research study of an investigational medication for the treatment of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS)

I kid you not! Now being a night person is a syndrome, that someone (read-money grubbing drug companies) has decided must be cured with some sort of medication. Never mind what the horrid other effects of this medicine might be-your liver will fail, you'll never take a poop again (that is, unless this medicine causes uncontrollable diarrhea), you'll turn into a raging maniac and you may commit suicide, but this medicine will make sure that you never have to suffer through another episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live ever again!
Personally, I would rather see a drug that would cure the annoying morning people. There's nothing that makes me want to slap someone more than a freaking cheerful person before 10 am.

5 comments:

vikki said...

Total agreement with the cheerful people too early in the morning. Any suggestions besides slapping them, especially if they're bigger than you?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

SBTVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Marilyn said...

Vikki-
I suppose shooting them would be overkill. You could try what I do with the dogs if they're doing things I don't like. Ignore them. Do not reward bad behavior with any kind of attention.

THE GRAMMARPHILE said...

You're absolutely right about the cheerful people early in the morning. I'm so NOT a morning person...which is ironic because I used to be a morning show DJ. I think the only reason I was able to handle that job without being homicidal was because I got up for work in the middle of the night and arrived there when it was still dark, thus tricking myself into believing that I was really working in the middle of the night as opposed to in the morning. :)