Thursday, August 16, 2007

Let's do a Movie Day!

I like movies, but I dislike movie theatres. I get very uncomfortable, and just want to leave. So, I watch movies on my couch. Here are a few that I've seen lately:

Pan's Labyrinth-I really liked this. In Spanish with subtitles, so don't watch it if you can't keep your eyes on the screen. Well, unless you understand Spanish. Despite taking seven years of Spanish classes I need those subtitles.

Fur-There is something completely sexy about Robert Downey Jr., even if he's covered in fur.

The Last Mimzy-A "children's" fantasy, but you don't need to borrow a kid to enjoy it.

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything. Julie Newmar-Patrick Swayze in drag. A fun movie!

Failure to Launch- Chick flick. Not the best I've seen, not the worst. Worth the price of the rental if you're in the mood for this kind of movie.

The Station Agent-Excellent movie. Nice story about damaged people creating their own type of acceptance. Definitely worth watching.

Crash-This was a very good movie also. Some people were outraged that it beat Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture. In my opinion Brokeback Mountain was a mediocre film that only got all the raves it did because of the subject matter. If you want to see a good film about gay issues rent Angels in America. It was an HBO mini-series, you need to get both discs. This is worth the time to watch it, and I will buy it for the permanent collection. Anyway, I think that Crash was a much better movie than BBM, and the award went to the right film.

1 comment:

pam said...

OMG Marilyn i only know if 4 people who saw and liked "Fur". Nicole K sure has a knack of taking on some off beat stuff. "Dogville" is one of her more daring projects. Its very odd.
And "To Wong Foo etc" is my favorite movie of all times. John L has many outstanding roles under his belt but i do think this movie was a career highlight for both Patrick S and Wesley S.
BTW great blog!