Saturday, October 13, 2007

October 13th


THE SMOKE DETECTOR PROJECT or BUT FIRST I HAD TO.....

I don't know how old my smoke detector was. It was here when I bought the house seven years ago, it could have been here a long time before that. The point is, it died. First I noticed that the batteries were wearing down too quickly. Finally it started going off for no reason. It was probably all dusty inside, this house seems to be a dust magnet. I decided to replace it since I bought a pack of three new smoke detectors a few months ago. First, remove the old one. It was in a really hard to reach place in the middle of the hall ceiling. I finally got it off after beating it with a hammer a few times. Okay, go get a new one.

But first I had to find them. I KNOW I left the package on the dining table. (I don't eat on the dining table, it's a horizontal storage spot.) Not there! No where to be seen. I looked in all the places I might have put a big package of new smoke detectors if I had gotten some sort of wild hair up my butt and decided to put things away. I looked for those things off and on for two days. I finally decided to look behind a picture frame that I had stuck in the corner, since that's usually the extent of putting things away around here. Found them! Now to put one up. I decided on a more accessible spot-one I could reach without a ladder. (Don't worry. I'm 5'11” tall, so it will still be at the recommended height, but I'll be able to change the battery when it needs it without thinking about it for a few weeks because but first I would have to drag the ladder inside.) Okay, I made two marks where I needed to drill holes. I was able to find the drill AND a complete set of drill bits! Unfortunately the battery in the drill was dead. So, I needed to drill holes, but first I had to charge the drill battery.
Okay. Holes got drilled. Now I need the parts. But first I had to find the plastic bag with the plastic screw holder thingies and the screws. Not in the package, not in the corner where I finally found the package. Oh, it's in the battery compartment. Is there a reason this wasn't in the directions? All parts were located, correctly assembled and there is once again a functioning smoke detector.

The next project will be to light the pilot on the heater. But first I have to get all the dust, dirt and cobwebs out. But first I have to figure out what's clogging the vacuum cleaner causing it to not suck so that I can use it to get the dirt out of the heater. That's the reason I don't get things done. Too many but first I have to-s. And those are usually the things that I really don't want to do.

The good part? I can light the heater pilot and test the new smoke detector at the same time.

AND, PEOPLE WHO POST COMENTS ONLINE ARE FAIR GAME TOO!

"It all start with education, family and welfare..I hope we have a better system to support these and everything will be better...it all start with who we vote for and what they'll do ..."

Posted by someone whose user name suggests they are in college. How did this person graduate high school, much less make it into college? Don't they still have that basic English test you have to take before they let you in? Or is that now politically incorrect?

A witness in small claims court testified that her "bathroom over-flooded." Not just a regular flood mind you. An OVER flood. That's much worse!


If you also are appalled by the widespread mangling of English these days, check out SPOGG.

No comments: