Monday, October 22, 2007

October 22nd

NANCEE E. LEWIS / Union-Tribune
Sunday, Oct. 21: This is the scene near Cotera Via street, near Barrett Junction, just off the 94 as the Harris Fire headed west from its starting point of Potrero.

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

Wildfires. Again. Feels the same as it did four years ago when 3000 or so homes were lost in the Ceder and Paradise fires. I've been watching news coverage all day and keeping an eye on the smoke from my backyard. The sunlight is a strange color and the wind is howling. My neighbor has one of those whirly thingies on his roof but it needs some WD-40, the squeaking adds to the spookiness.

Fortunately I'm not in the path of either of the large fires, for now at least. I hooked extra dog leashes in the car just in case the canines and I have to get out, and there's some things packed up to make them easier to grab. I've lit some candles because the power went out briefly a while ago and I can never remember where the flashlights are. Maybe I should eat the ice cream. You know, just in case the power goes out. It would be a shame to waste ice cream.

So far I'm okay here. I'll update this if anything changes.

No comments: