Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 20th



TILLY'S TALE

Tilly is my long-term foster dog. She's been here almost a year, ever since we were asked to rescue her by the county shelter. She had been picked up as a stray with six puppies. The pups were taken by a local humane society, but Tilly was left behind to face death in the shelter. (I use the word “humane” lightly here, and only because it's part of their name. They quite loudly tout themselves as a no-kill organization, but don't bother to mention that they don't take any dog that might need some rehabilitation. They jump all over puppies in the shelters because they can get money for them. They're nothing more than a resale pet boutique, in my opinion.) Tilly was deemed not adoptable because she was extremely timid. She moved away from any human contact, and seemed really depressed. Her only chance to avoid being killed in the shelter was for a rescue to take her, so we did.

It's been a long journey of baby steps for this pretty girl. A shelter worker and I had to carry her to my car the day I pulled her, she was too terrified to even walk on a leash. Once here I put her in a big crate, and she wouldn't come out on her own. I had to put a leash on her to get her to go outside to potty. The first few times I took her to adoption events I had to lift her up into the car, she was too scared to get in on her own, and once inside the car she would poop. Finally she would jump in if I got in first. A few more trips and she finally would get in the car on her own, and now she likes to look out the window during the ride. After a few months she moved out of the crate and took up residence under a desk. Then she started going to the door to be let out to potty, but would only go out if I went out first. Now she will go out on her own, and will come back inside when I call her. She will finally take food from my hand, and likes to lay by the side of the couch in the living room if I'm watching TV. She will nuzzle my hand, and even lick it, but still moves away if I try to pet her. Many people have been interested in adopting her, but in the end they weren't prepared to give her the time she still needs to become a good pet. She can have all the time she needs right here. Baby steps for my Tilly-Vanilly.


TODAY'S EPISODE OF WHY YOU SHOULD STAY IN SCHOOL


From ABC News-not just the local yokels: “Two lanes will be opened, and that's a sigh of relief.” No. That's good news, which may cause people to heave a sigh of relief.

The local moron Jimmy Q was not to be outdone: “How long will it last for?”

From my other major source of amusement at Channel 10: “You won't get a glass of water unless you request for one.” (She said this exact thing three times. She obviously thinks that this is the right way to say it.)


And, from one of the moron anchor persons: “Purse sized dogs are popular among pet celebrity owners.” Lassie's owner prefers a purse sized dog? Does Lassie know this?

From a commercial: “Scan was the only one that really came out to the house....” The rest of them faked coming?


From a commercial from a company that makes toys that are supposed to teach things to children: “Boys are built different.” I hope that language isn't part of what they teach.

The company I used to work for made the imploded list:

Valley Vista Mortgage goes under-complete with apostrophe abuse!

No comments: